Water Innovation Challenge Competition 2021
The Bangladesh Water Multi Stakeholder Partnership in collaboration with six other partners launched the Water Innovation Challenge Competition 2021 on 23rd February. Partners included Aspire to Innovate (A2i), Dhaka WASA, Department of Environment (DOE), Unilever (Pureit), Bangladesh Association of Software and Information Services (BASIS) and Bangladesh Computer Samity (BCS).
The competition is for young innovators, and the primary goal is to come up with innovative ideas for sustainable IT-based solutions for water saving, reuse and recycling methods. The competition started on 23 February and submissions are no longer accepted at this moment. The winning team will be awarded a grant to implement the solution.
- Find out more about the challenge here >> http://challenge.gov.bd/WICC
- Watch a recording of the launch ceremony here >>
- Check out the Facebook page and like us here >>
Rapid urbanization, growing population, and industrialization are resulting in unregulated uses, depletion of fresh water and ground water globally and in Bangladesh. Recent analysis, undertaken by 2030 Water Resources Group, highlights that Bangladesh will have a water supply deficit during the dry season of up to 21% by 2030. Absence of appropriate water usage monitoring tools and platforms is a barrier for creating incentive for citizens and industries to participate in water saving methods. Therefore, the challenge competition aims to raise awareness amongst citizens of the impact their consumption creates on the quality and quantity of water. It also gives an opportunity for citizens to gain insight into and participate in innovative systems for water recycling and reuse.
7 Partners convening for the Challenge Competition
On 15 February 2021 the partners, facilitated by 2030 WRG, launched the WICC 2021 through a Letter of Intent. Partners included the Bangladesh Government’s powerhouse for technology based innovations Aspire to Innovate (A2i); one of the country’s oldest and largest FMCG conglomerates Unilever Bangladesh Ltd with water filter brand Pureit; the country’s largest water supply authority Dhaka WASA; the government’s major organ for sustainable environmental governance Department of Environment (DoE) under Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC); country’s apex bodies for ICT companies BASIS, and BCS.
Watch the video on the Water Innovation Challenge Competition
Webinar Series during the Promotional Campaign phase:
A series of webinars have been planned to acquaint the interested innovators about water security issues in Bangladesh and at large.
- Webinar 1: Introduction to the problem statements | Thursday 11 March 2021 19:00 hrs BST (08:00 hrs EST)
See Zoom recording
- Webinar 2: Role of right messaging as a tool to promote water-use efficiency | April 8, 2021 20:00-22:00 hrs. BST
Click this Zoom link to join the webinar >>
Zoom ID: 884 4922 0038
- Webinar 3: Importance of right messaging tool to promote water-use efficiency | tbc
- Webinar 4: Advanced analytical techniques in industrial water management | tbc
|Submission Closes||15 May 2021|
|Publishing of Short-listed Applicant List||25 May 2021|
|Judging & Technical Evaluation Panel Starts||26 May 2021|
|Judging & Technical Evaluation Panel Ends||31 May 2021|
|Award/Prize Announcing||5 June 2021|
Activities following the Competition:
- Prototype design, development and piloting of the solutions selected in the competition phase
- Production and scale-up of the successfully tested prototype
- Work with Government to potentially adjust policy / regulatory framework if required for successful deployment of the ultimate solutions
- Citizen sensitization and awareness raising
For more information:
Click here to add your own text