A 3-part Webinar Series on Reimagining Reuse of Treated Wastewater in Agriculture in India: Technology, Finance, and Governance Perspectives
With depleting freshwater sources and ballooning population, prioritizing water treatment is essential for India to build a circular economy. Several peri-urban areas that predominantly have agrarian landscapes are rapidly being converted into urban settlements with major changes in land use land cover pattern. The pace of this rapid urbanization surpasses the pace of infrastructure development, leading to a lack of basic amenities in peri-urban areas. Management of water resources and solid waste in these areas is highly challenging. Hence, there is a need for a review of harmonization on quality standards, criteria for discharge of water in the natural ecosystem, and integrating reuse and recycle of Treated Wastewater (TWW) to build a circular economy.
Currently, only around 30% to 40% of wastewater in India gets treated, with a few examples of this treated wastewater being reused. There is a need to mainstream the reuse of TWW in agriculture through various approaches and technologies as they provide enormous opportunities to build climate resilience; enhance circular economy of resources; improve ecosystems, public health, and water availability for farmers; as well as preserve livelihoods.
A virtual 3-part Webinar Series is being convened by 2030 WRG in collaboration with the Israel Economic and Trade Mission, World Business Council on Sustainable Development (WBCSD), India-EU Water Partnership (IEWP), and the Government of Maharashtra.
This Webinar Series will focus on the following dimensions of reuse of TWW in agriculture:
- Webinar 1: Reuse and Applications of Treated Wastewater in Agriculture:
Mapping the India Story and Insights from Israel
- When: October 27, 2020 | 4:00 – 6:00 PM (India Standard Time)
- When it’s time, click HERE to join the meeting.
- Detailed program below
- Webinar 2: Wastewater Treatment Systems and Technologies: Fit for Purpose – Fit for India
- Webinar 3: Financing and Governance Frameworks to Mainstream Reuse of TWW
Detailed Program: Webinar 1
Welcome and Setting the Context
- Kavita Sachwani, State Program Coordinator, 2030 WRG, Maharashtra
- Sagi Itcher, Head of Economic and Trade Mission, Consulate General of Israel
Insights from Israel: Innovations and partnerships for Wastewater Reuse in Agriculture
- Oded Distel, Chief Executive Officer at Tal-Ya Agriculture Solutions, Israel
WBCSD Perspectives on Wastewater and Resource Circularity
- Tom Williams, Director-Water, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
Insights into the National Wastewater Reuse Policy
- Jeremy Bird, Senior Water Policy Expert, India-EU Water Partnership / GIZ
Panel Discussion 1: Reuse of Treated Wastewater in Agriculture – Current Status and Implementation challenges
Moderator: Dr. Mahesh Patankar, Senior Advisor, 2030 WRG
- Shilp Verma, Researcher, International Water Management Institute
- Vishwanath S, Director, Biome Environmental Solutions Ltd.
Panel Discussion 2: Building Climate Resilience through Wastewater Reuse – Live case study from Marathwada
Facilitated by: Dr. Anjali Parasnis, Technical Consultant, 2030 WRG; and Kavita Sachwani, State Program Coordinator, 2030 WRG, Maharashtra
- Eknath Dawale, IAS, Secretary, Agriculture, Government of Maharashtra (TBC)
- Astik Pandey, IAS, Commissioner, Aurangabad Municipal Corporation, Government of Maharashtra
- Anil Hadgaonkar, SDAO, Project on Climate Resilient Agriculture, Aurangabad
- Farmer(s) / WUA of Zalta Gram Panchayat, Aurangabad
- K P Bakshi, IAS (Retd.), Former Chairman, Maharashtra Water Resources Regulatory Authority
For more information, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org